Men’s Pickleball Shorts, are they necessary? I would say yes and no. There are great performance men’s pickleball short options for players who are serious about their game. You may be playing several times a week and want something more than just a gym or casual running type short. There is a great deal of technology that goes into athletic apparel, and pickleball shorts are no exception.
Pickleball, a fast-paced and dynamic sport, has gained immense popularity in recent years. Played on a compact court with a combination of elements from tennis, badminton, and table tennis, pickleball requires agility, speed, and precision.
However, one often underestimated aspect of excelling in pickleball is the choice of clothing. Your athletic wear on the court can significantly impact your performance and comfort, making it crucial to select the right gear. Men’s pickleball shorts are no exception.
When it comes to pickleball clothing, the emphasis is not just on style but also on functionality. The right athletic wear can enhance your gameplay by keeping you comfortable, dry, and unrestricted in movement. Among the essential clothing items for pickleball enthusiasts, men’s pickleball shorts stand out as a fundamental component of your gear.
Types of Pickleball Shorts and Materials
Men’s pickleball shorts come in several different fits to accommodate varying preferences and playing styles. Here are some common types of fits for men’s pickleball shorts:
Type Of Fits Available For Men’s Pickleball Shorts
- Athletic fit shorts are designed to provide a streamlined and contoured look.
- They typically have a narrower cut through the hips and thighs, creating a fitted appearance.
- These shorts offer a modern, sporty aesthetic and are often preferred by players who want a sleek and stylish look on the court.
- The narrow fit allows for easy movement and minimizes excess fabric, reducing the risk of interference during play.
- Relaxed-fit shorts are roomier and offer a more casual and comfortable look.
- They have a wider cut through the hips and thighs, providing extra space for unrestricted movement.
- These pickleball shorts are ideal for players who prioritize comfort and prefer a looser fit while playing pickleball.
- The relaxed fit is often chosen for recreational play and casual matches.
- Regular-fit shorts strike a balance between athletic and relaxed styles.
- They provide a comfortable fit without being overly tight or baggy.
- These shorts are versatile and can suit a wide range of playing styles and preferences.
- Regular-fit pickleball shorts are a popular choice for players who want a balanced combination of style and comfort.
- Slim-fit shorts are narrower than regular-fit shorts but not as tight as athletic-fit shorts.
- They offer a tailored appearance without excessive bagginess.
- These shorts are favored by players who want a stylish look with a bit of room for movement.
- Slim-fit shorts provide a modern and polished appearance on the pickleball court.
Elastic Waistband Fit
- Some pickleball shorts feature an elastic waistband, which can accommodate a range of body sizes and shapes.
- The elastic waistband provides flexibility and ensures a secure fit without the need for a drawstring.
- These shorts are comfortable and easy to put on, making them convenient for players who prefer a fuss-free fit.
- Many pickleball shorts come with a drawstring at the waist, allowing players to adjust the fit to their liking.
- Drawstring shorts offer a customizable fit, ensuring that the waistband is neither too loose nor too tight.
- Players can tighten or loosen the drawstring based on their comfort and preference.
When choosing men’s pickleball shorts for yourself, consider your style, comfort requirements, and playing preferences to select the best fit.
Materials Used In Men’s Pickleball Shorts
Men’s pickleball shorts are typically made from materials designed to provide comfort, breathability, moisture-wicking properties, and durability. Here are some common materials used for men’s pickleball shorts:
- Polyester is a popular choice for pickleball shorts due to its moisture-wicking capabilities. It efficiently draws sweat away from the skin, keeping you dry during intense matches. This is key.
- It is lightweight and breathable, promoting airflow to prevent overheating.
- Polyester shorts are known for their durability and resistance to wrinkles, making them suitable for long-lasting use.
- Nylon is another moisture-wicking fabric commonly used in pickleball shorts.
- It is lightweight, quick-drying, and resistant to abrasion, making it ideal for players who expect a high level of physical activity during games.
- Nylon shorts are often chosen for their durability and ability to withstand wear and tear.
- Spandex is added to pickleball shorts for its stretch and flexibility properties.
- Used in compression athletic compression wear.
- It enhances the range of motion, allowing players to move freely on the court without restriction.
- Spandex-blend shorts are often preferred by players who prioritize agility and dynamic movements.
- Cotton blends, such as a combination of cotton and polyester, offer a comfortable and breathable option.
- They provide a soft and natural feel against the skin while still offering some moisture-wicking properties.
- Cotton blend shorts may be suitable for casual or recreational play.
- Mesh fabric is used in specific areas of pickleball shorts, typically along the sides or in ventilation panels.
- It enhances breathability by allowing air circulation, which helps in keeping players cool during hot matches.
- Mesh panels are often found in shorts designed for warm weather conditions.
- Microfiber is a lightweight and soft fabric that is comfortable to wear.
- It has moisture-wicking properties, making it suitable for keeping you dry during play.
- Microfiber shorts are known for their soft texture and ease of care.
- Some pickleball shorts may feature terry cloth material in pockets or on the inner waistband.
- Terry cloth is absorbent and can help wipe away sweat during matches.
- It adds a practical element to the shorts, especially in terms of convenience.
Recycled or Sustainable Fabrics
- With a growing focus on sustainability, some brands offer pickleball shorts made from recycled or eco-friendly materials.
- These fabrics reduce the environmental impact of clothing production.
When selecting men’s pickleball shorts, consider the climate you’ll be playing in, your preference for moisture management, and the level of physical activity involved. The choice of material can significantly impact your comfort and performance on the pickleball court.
When it comes to men’s pickleball shorts, there are a lot of features can contribute to their comfort, functionality, and overall performance on the court. Here are some important features to consider:
Pockets: Pockets are essential for storing pickleballs, especially if you don’t have a dedicated ball holder. Look for shorts with deep, well-placed pockets that securely hold the balls during play.
Ventilation: Proper ventilation is crucial to keep you cool, especially in hot weather. Shorts with mesh panels or breathable fabric in key areas (such as the crotch or sides) can help dissipate heat and moisture, preventing discomfort and overheating.
Moisture-Wicking: Moisture-wicking technology in the fabric helps draw sweat away from the body, keeping you dry and comfortable during intense matches. Look for shorts that explicitly mention moisture-wicking properties in their descriptions.
Elastic Waistband: An elastic waistband with or without a drawstring ensures a secure fit while allowing for easy adjustments. This feature prevents the shorts from slipping or riding up during play.
Stretch and Flexibility: Shorts with added spandex or elastane provide flexibility and stretch, allowing for a wide range of movements without restriction. This is particularly important for dynamic plays and agile footwork.
Anti-Chafing Design: Look for shorts with flatlock seams or ergonomic designs that reduce the risk of chafing or irritation during extended matches. These features enhance overall comfort.
UV Protection: If you play outdoors frequently, consider shorts that offer built-in UV protection to shield your skin from harmful sun rays.
Quick-Drying: Quick-drying shorts are ideal, especially if you’re playing in wet or humid conditions. They allow for rapid moisture evaporation and keep you comfortable even when you’re sweating heavily.
Anti-Odor Technology: Some shorts feature anti-odor technology that helps prevent the buildup of odor-causing bacteria, keeping your shorts fresher for longer.
Reflective Elements: If you play in low-light conditions, shorts with reflective elements can enhance your visibility to others on the court, increasing safety.
Durability: Consider the durability of the shorts, especially if you play frequently. Reinforced stitching and high-quality materials contribute to longer-lasting shorts.
Style: While functionality is crucial, style is also a consideration. Many pickleball shorts come in various colors and designs, allowing you to express your personal style while on the court.
Brand and Logo: Some players prefer shorts with prominent logos or branding from their favorite pickleball or sports equipment companies. This can also add a touch of personal flair to your attire.
Remember that the importance of specific features may vary based on your playing style, the climate in which you play, and your personal preferences. Consider these features when selecting men’s pickleball shorts to ensure they meet your needs and enhance your overall playing experience.
Now, let’s delve into some of the best men’s pickleball shorts on the market, each with its unique qualities and advantages:
Best Men’s Pickleball Shorts
1. Adidas Club 3-Stripe 7″ Tennis Shorts
Fit: These shorts offer a relaxed fit with a bit of stretch, allowing for ease of movement on the court. The waistband is elastic and adjustable with a drawstring, ensuring a secure fit.
Material: They are made from moisture-wicking polyester that keeps you dry and comfortable during intense matches. The fabric is lightweight, so it won’t weigh you down.
Features: Adidas’ iconic 3-stripe design runs along the sides, adding a touch of style. Side pockets provide convenient ball storage, and there’s a mesh gusset for added ventilation.
2. Nike Dri-FIT Victory 11″ Shorts:
Fit: These shorts have an athletic, modern fit with a comfortable waistband and a drawstring for a customized fit. The length is just right, providing mobility without excess fabric.
Material: Nike’s Dri-FIT technology wicks away sweat, keeping you dry and comfortable. The fabric is a blend of polyester and spandex, providing stretch and durability.
Features: They feature a sleek design with the Nike Swoosh logo. Side pockets are included for storing balls and essentials.
3. Puma EvoSpeed 8″ Tennis Shorts:
Fit: These shorts offer a comfortable, relaxed fit that allows for a full range of motion. The waistband is elastic with a drawstring for adjustability.
Material: Made from breathable polyester, these shorts keep you cool and dry during matches. The lightweight fabric ensures you can move with ease.
Features: While simple in design, they focus on functionality, making them ideal for players who prioritize comfort during long matches.
4. Wilson Rush 9″ Performance Shorts:
Fit: These shorts offer a tailored, comfortable fit with an elastic waistband. The length is just right, allowing for unrestricted movement.
Material: Wilson uses nanowick moisture-wicking polyester fabric to keep you dry. The fabric is soft to the touch and durable, ensuring long-lasting performance.
Features: Wilson combines style and functionality, making these shorts suitable for both casual and competitive play. They offer a signature ball pocket for easy ball removal. NanoUV30+ protection
5. K-Swiss Supercharge 7″ Performance Shorts:
Fit: With a classic look, these shorts have a comfortable waistband and a relaxed fit. They offer ample room for movement and feature a drawstring for adjustability.
Material: Made from moisture-wicking polyester, they keep you dry and comfortable. The fabric is breathable and lightweight.
Features: K-Swiss focuses on a timeless design with functional details. Side pockets are included for ball storage and convenience.
6. Selkirk Pro Performance Shorts:
Fit: These shorts provide a snug and secure fit, preventing any distractions during play. The waistband is comfortable and stays in place.
Material: Constructed with a moisture-wicking blend of polyester and spandex, they keep you dry and comfortable. The fabric has enough stretch to support dynamic movements.
Features: Selkirk’s shorts have strategically placed pockets for easy access to pickleball balls. The minimalist design prioritizes functionality.
7. Flow Society Pickleball Shorts:
Fit: Designed for ultimate comfort, these shorts feature a relaxed fit with an elastic waistband. They are roomy and breathable, making them perfect for hot days.
Material: Known for outstanding ventilation, Flow Society uses lightweight and breathable materials that keep you cool, even in the heat.
Features: These shorts prioritize breathability and comfort. While they may have fewer pockets, they excel at keeping you cool during intense matches.
8. Grand Slam Performance Shorts:
Fit: These shorts offer a comfortable and regular fit with an elastic waistband and a drawstring for an adjustable fit. They are designed for players who need a balance of comfort and functionality.
Material: Constructed from a moisture-wicking blend of polyester and spandex, these shorts keep you dry and provide enough stretch for dynamic 360-degree movements on the court.
Features: Grand Slam focuses on performance and convenience, making these shorts suitable for serious players. They typically include well-placed pockets for ball storage and other essentials.
9. PB 1965 Men’s Yates 7″ Pickleball Shorts
- Fit: These shorts are designed for a loose and comfortable fit, allowing players to move with confidence. The waistband is adjustable and snug without being restrictive.
- Material: Featuring excellent breathability and moisture-wicking properties, these shorts are ideal for staying dry and comfortable during demanding matches.
- Features: PB 1965 offers a range of options, including shorts with multiple pockets, ensuring players can carry everything they need for a match. These shorts are tailored to the needs of dedicated pickleball enthusiasts.
10. Babolat Tennis Shorts:
- Fit: These shorts are engineered for mobility, providing players with the freedom to move swiftly on the court. The waistband is comfortable and flexible, allowing for a customized fit.
- Material: Babolat uses moisture-wicking materials combined with ample ventilation to keep players cool and dry. These shorts are lightweight and designed for agility.
- Features: While prioritizing functionality, Babolat’s Tennis Shorts also offer a stylish look. They may include pockets and other features for added convenience during play.
11. Amazon Essentials Performance Shorts:
- Fit: Offering a comfortable and stylish fit, these shorts have an elastic waistband and a tailored design that complements a player’s physique while allowing for unrestricted movement.
- Material: Amazon Essentials uses moisture-wicking fabric to ensure you stay dry during matches. The fabric is both soft and durable, guaranteeing long-lasting performance.
- Features: Amazon Essentials combines performance with aesthetics, making these shorts suitable for both casual and competitive play. They often include side pockets for easy access to pickleball balls and other essentials.
Comparison Of Fit For Our Best 11 Men’s Pickleball Shorts
|Adidas Club 3-Stripe 7″ Tennis Shorts||Athletic|
|Nike Dri-FIT Victory 7″ Shorts||Athletic|
|Puma EvoSpeed 7″ Tennis Shorts||Relaxed|
|Wilson Rush 7″ Performance Shorts||Regular|
|K-Swiss Big Shot 7″ Performance Shorts||Relaxed|
|Selkirk Pro Performance Shorts||Snug/Secure|
|Flow Society Pickleball Shorts||Relaxed|
|Grand Slam Performance Shorts||Balanced (Regular)|
|PB 1965 Yates 7″||Regular|
|Babolat Team Shorts||Mobility (Slim)|
|Amazon Essentials Shorts||Comfortable|
Comparison of Materials For Our Best 11 Men’s Pickleball Shorts
|Adidas Club 3-Stripe 7″ Tennis Shorts||Polyester|
|Nike Dri-FIT Victory 7″ Shorts||Polyester-Spandex Blend (Dri-FIT)|
|Puma EvoSpeed 7″ Tennis Shorts||Polyester|
|Wilson Rush 7″ Performance Shorts||Polyester|
|K-Swiss Big Shot 7″ Performance Shorts||Polyester|
|Selkirk Pro Performance Shorts||Polyester-Spandex Blend|
|Flow Society Pickleball Shorts||Varies (Polyester, Mesh)|
|Grand Slam Performance Shorts||Polyester-Spandex Blend|
|PB 1965 Yates 7″ Pickleball Shorts||Polyester|
|Babolat Team Shorts||Polyester|
|Amazon Essentials Shorts||Polyester|
We have gone through a lot of details on fit, material, and features of each type of men’s pickleball shorts. While a lot, we wanted you to be able to make a more informed decision.
All these pickleball shorts have been chosen for their unique qualities and advantages, which are great choices if you are in the market and want a short that can handle the rigors of pickleball.
Frequently Asked Questions?
What shorts are best for pickleball?
Pickleball shorts should be lightweight and have moisture-wicking fabric. There are different styles, from relaxed to snug (compression) fits. Choose which best fits your playing style and also your climate.
What pickleball paddle does Tyson McGuffin use?
Can I wear jeans to play pickleball?
We do not recommend wearing jeans. They are not designed for the movements required for pickleball.
What pickleball shorts does Lea Jansen wear?
Do pickleball clothes matter?
Yes, they do. Choose lightweight tops that offer UV protection. In shorts or skirts, choose moisture-wicking fabrics. Dress for the weather. In hot climates, consider lightweight, breathable fabrics. You want clothing that will not restrict your movements.
What is the difference between pickleball and tennis shorts?
The short answer is they can be worn interchangeably. Tennis and pickleball shorts are designed for the same type of on-court movements.
What pickleball shoes does Ben Johns wear?
What pickleball paddle does Ben Johns use?
Ben Johns uses the Joola Ben Johns Hyperion CFS* pickleball paddle.
Is 70 too old to play pickleball?
Absolutely not! I play with many 70-year-olds as well as younger players. The key is your mobility. You need to have a basic level of mobility to be able to get around the court. I have seen 90-year-olds playing. I hope that is me someday!
* Available on Amazon